Sunday, December 19, 2010

ESPN and Alabama Pride

Holiday Greetings Everyone!

I am very excited about the recently released "It's Not Crazy, It's Sports" commercial! I was very happy to take part in a commercial that describes a wonderful part of the Alabama culture-collegiate athletics! The pride Alabama natives experience, whether they cheer for the UAB Blazers, Alabama Crimson Tide, Auburn Tigers, Troy Trojans, or any team, is a unifying engagement.

I cannot tell you how many times I have seen complete strangers exchange a friendly "Go Blazers!" or "Roll Tide" as a greeting. Even the competitive banter exchanged by rival fans, especially during the Iron Bowl, has a charm and a familiarity to it that makes me smile!

These moments make me smile because they represent quintessential Alabama traits- pride and loyalty. In Alabama, each athlete that takes the field knows that he or she has a body of dedicated fans who support and are truly engaged with him or her.

I have experienced this same support! Now, let me clarify-I do not claim to be a good athlete (I'm not). I often made the team and enjoy sports, but my high school soccer coach told me, "You are not the most skilled player, but your drive and determination got you a spot on the team."

I experience this support from citizens across this state as I pursue my dream of becoming Miss America. Kind words of encouragement and a simple "we are proud of you" absolutely make my day!

In Alabama, we believe in our leaders and we invest in their success and that is something for which to be very proud! So [Insert your sports chant here], because it is a great thing to call Alabama home!

Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment