Thursday, December 16, 2010

"I'm Still Dreaming About..." Fannie Flag...An Alabama and Miss Alabama Legacy

Greetings from the Magic City!

In November, I was afforded the extraordinary opportunity to attend "An Evening with Fannie Flagg" at the Virginia Samford Theatre in Birmingham-and what an opportunity it was!

Let me begin by saying that the book and film Fried Green Tomatoes are well-loved aspects of Alabama culture. However, while I knew of this iconic portraits of my home, I knew little else about the tremendous force that brought these experiences to life-Fannie Flagg. When I became Miss Alabama, I was enlightened!

Ms. Fannie Flagg, a former contestant in the Miss Alabama program, calls Birmingham her hometown and speaks of it with a love and appreciation that only a true native could achieve. She is an incredible force in modern literature and media and wonderful example of how an individual can defy all odds and become anything, as long as they believe.

On November 20th, I was among the fortunate audience that attended Ms. Flagg's homecoming at Virginia Samford Theatre. Not only that, I was permitted to attend a small reception in her honor before the evening began. I can say from personal experience that this larger-than-life Alabama native is one of the most endearing and friendly individuals I have ever met. While I watched in awe as she greeted everyone from mentors, to lifelong friends, to even the Mayor of Birmingham, my observations told me that she had stepped back into Birmingham as if she had never left. She possessed a warmness and familiarity that one can find in a neighbor. Again, I was giddy with excitement, just to be lucky enough to be there.

Then, we all took our seats in the Virgina Samford Theatre to listen as Mr. Jack Reiss and Ms. Flagg talked. As she spoke of her childhood in Birmingham, she described the sheer joy she experienced during her time with the Virgina Samford Theatre, her comedic approach to competing in the Miss Alabama Pageant, and her amazing journey to becoming the acclaimed author she is today. All the while, the audience and myself sat captivated, hanging on her every word. I realized that most of the individuals around me had experienced everything she described. She had shared that time with them and was so thankful for their impact on her life. My gratitude for that moment is indescribable, I will cherish that opportunity forever.

Ms. Flagg latest book is a portrait of Birmingham, The Magic City, through the eyes of a former Miss Alabama. According to The Birmingham News, Mr. Pat Conroy describes I Still Dream About You as "a love letter to the City of Birmingham and the State of Alabama." I couldn't agree more. As I read her precious story, I am enthralled by the characters and their relationship with this city that I live and work in everyday. Their backdrop is my own. Maggie, the principle character, and I share a common experience. Furthermore, it is so incredible that Ms. Flagg and I also share that unique experience which is participating in the invaluable program.

Thank you Ms. Flagg for immortalizing in your novel a time in my life and a city I will cherish forever!

With love,
Ashley

Ms. Fannie Flagg

An Incredible Story
(Photo courtesy of atrandom.com- http://atrandom.com/fannie_flagg/)

No comments:

Post a Comment