Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Glimse in Time

Greetings!


This weekend I took a journey. I took a journey not only to a place, but to a different time. On Saturday, I was fortunate enough to attend the Carbon Hill Car Show. Carbon Hill is a charming southern town that began as a mining town in Northwest Alabama. This close-knit community is a portrait of the values that inspire Alabamians to care for their neighbor.

The local Kiwanis Chapter hosts the Annual Carbon Hill Antique Car Show and hosted me at this year’s event. Automobile enthusiasts traveled near and far for Saturday’s show, which was blessed with a hot and beautiful Alabama day. While the sun sat high in the sky and 50’s music played, I got to visit with the wonderful people from Carbon Hill. They were incredibly friendly and welcoming and I was so proud to have been invited to their community.

A recurring theme from Saturday’s show was family. As I looked around, I was filled with such happiness as I saw children, old and young, enjoying the festivities with their parents. Some families enjoy car restoration as a family pastime and travel to shows together, entering similar contests.

I had the high honor of selecting the Best in Show Award for the Car Division. (This was TOUGH!) Even though the time when these cars filled the roads has passed, most of these automobiles look as though they had just been driven off of the dealership. Ultimately, I chose the 1956 Crimson and White Chevy. The gentleman who owned this car, got it when he was 17-years-old. This particular fact touched me. He had owned this car since he was in high school and still possessed a love and an appreciation for it. Rather than becoming a memory or a part of his past, this car maintained its significance and beauty.

Saturday was such a incredible day and just one more reason for why I have been so blessed. This is the DREAM JOB! Every moment is an adventure! Hope to see you on my next adventure!

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment