Saturday, February 5, 2011

Kicking off 2011 with a BANG!

Greetings!
Life is back in full force since my return from Miss America! It is so exciting to pick up right where we left off before Las Vegas because I am still afforded the opportunity to meet amazing people and see amazing places.
I kicked off my remaining time as Miss Alabama with a bang, starting with three appearances in three different cities in 36 hours! I traveled to Wadley, Alabama on a Thursday afternoon to appear at the Miss Southern Union Pageant! During my first year at Miss Alabama, my roommate during pageant week was Kristina Goodwin, Miss Southern Union. Kristina and I hit it off from the first moment. I knew if Kristina’s wonderful personality was any indicator of the people from Southern Union College, I was going to have a blast-and I did! The individuals who power and support the Miss Southern Union College not only mentor and believe in the lucky young lady who gets to be Miss Southern Union, but also every individual who enters the pageant! In addition to being part of an awesome evening and a great show, I got to spend time with the incredible Jamie Langley, Miss Alabama 2007. Part of being Miss Alabama is learning about the history of this organization and the women who came before you through the words of the individuals whose lives were touched by them. Jamie touched so many lives and served this state with a wonderful energy and sense of service and I was just so excited to spend the evening with her.
We departed Wadley and made our way down 431 to my hometown Dothan; I was asked to speak to approximately 400 high school girls at the Annual Girls Youth Career Summit at Wallace Community College the following morning. I have told many individuals that I get the most nervous when I talk to high school students, first because I often still think of myself as 16-years-old and second because they are facing a time with a great deal of challenges and decisions. I felt so fortunate to talk to these young ladies about how to navigate the world they live in and how to be successful.
From Dothan we headed to Auburn for the Miss Auburn University Pageant.  The Miss Auburn University Pageant has a wonderful tradition of putting on a fantastic show and this year was no exception. It was so exciting to emcee such a neat show featuring 23 wonderful contestants, Rebecca Hart, Miss AU 2010, the AU Tiger Paws, the AU Show Choir, and AUBIE! I loved experiencing how engaged the Auburn students were with the show and the hospitality shown by the pageant staff. After a whirlwind trip, I returned to Birmingham, so grateful for the experiences and memories I am given every day.
Yesterday, I spent the day with some amazing people! I spent the earlier part of Friday with dear friends from The Clothes Tree in Birmingham. Deborah, the store owner, sponsored the Annual Heart Guild Fashion Show at Fleming’s Restaurant in Birmingham. Not only did I get to wear beautiful clothes, but I got to spend time with a group of friends that I will cherish forever. We had such a good time catching up over lunch-laughing and truly being grateful for each other.
Yesterday evening, I was honored to sing the National Anthem at the Annual Leeds Chamber of Commerce Banquet, where I sang Our National Anthem. The keynote address was given by the Honorable Governor Robert Bentley. It was a unique opportunity to hear our Governor speak about the future of our home during this defining moment in our history. Also, the City of Leeds is a wonderful model for the type of close-knit community that shapes a citizen’s character.
I hope everyone has a wonderful, safe weekend! I’ll catch up with you all again soon!
With Love,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment