Monday, February 28, 2011

Fashion February and so much more!

Hello Miss Alabama Enthusiasts!
What an exciting time to be Miss Alabama!!! The past few weeks have been as busy as ever and I have been blessed with more wonderful memories, new friends, and precious opportunities to work as an advocate for my state and my platform.
On February 5th I traveled to Hamilton, Alabama to emcee the Miss Hamilton Pageant. This was my first trip to Hamilton and I was overwhelmed by the culture of hospitality from Hamilton citizens and the volunteers that run the Miss Hamilton program. I am always so inspired by the incredible women who compete in the Miss Alabama Program across this state. It is an honor to represent them and I feel so proud of the caliber of women who are vying for the title of Miss Alabama. Another fun day was spent emceeing the Miss Valentine Pageant, organized by an invaluable sponsor to the Miss Alabama Pageant-Danny Barrett. It is exciting to see young ladies of all ages practicing poise and grace, while being committed to leading a healthy lifestyle. I also emceed the Miss Sylacauga Pageant, saw a dear friend crown the new Miss Walker County, and emceed the last pageant for the preliminary competition season!
I will remember this month as “Fashion February” because of all of the fun fashion shows and photo shoots I participated in this month. On February 16th, I got to strut the runway for a wonderful mission-The Salvation Army…AND I was so excited about the great recycled clothing I modeled, I bought them for bargain prices! Proceeds from this show support the Salvation Army missions in Birmingham. Later that afternoon, I headed over to the FABULOUS Clothes Tree for a photo shoot! And last but certainly not least, last week was the Annual Gus Meyer MAD HATTER Fashion Show, a fundraiser for Cancer Research. First of all, this show is held atop Red Mountain at “The Club”, a beautiful venue overlooking the Birmingham Skyline. The featured hat designer was the wonderful Christine A. Moore, who created beautiful and unique headwear. I was fortunate to be among the guests at a reception in her honor later that evening at the brand new Gus Meyer department store at The Summit!
This is also an exciting time for the March of Dimes. As the March for Babies approaches, our UAB March for Babies Committee is planning fundraisers, increasing awareness on campus, and recruiting volunteers for the March of Dimes mission. I am excited about the opportunity to return to the Metro Birmingham March for Babies Logistics Team as the Volunteer Coordinator. As the Volunteer Coordinator, I am responsible for over 100 volunteers for the March for Babies, an event that hosts over 1,500 people at UAB’s campus.  Through this work I get to live my platform every day, because I believe in the power of individuals who commit themselves to a cause.
On the 18th, I took a long overdue visit to the dentist, but let me tell you this was no ordinary visit! I traveled to Decatur to the Miss Alabama sponsor Dr. Stephanie Teichmiller. This was without a doubt the most comprehensive care I have ever received and the most welcoming and comfortable atmosphere. I, like most people, DREAD dentist appointments. In my experience, they were just not very pleasant encounters. BUT, Dr. Teichmiller and her staff have created a spa-like atmosphere where they treat everyone like family. I am so grateful for her support and, believe it or not, cannot wait for my next appointment.
I traveled to Athens, Alabama on February 26th for the Annual Athens Chili Challenge. My responsibilities included serving as a judge for 32 distinct Chili’s. Now, I did not think it was possible to taste 32 samples and find each one unique, but each chili had a distinct flavor and personality. This was such a special day because in addition to meeting some fabulous people, I visited with the wonderful Sandlin family-who have loved me as one of their own and supported me during every moment of my journey as Miss Alabama.
With just over three months left, I am soaking in every moment as Miss Alabama and trying desperately to make time slow down. This has been just an incredible journey and I am not ready for it to an end. So I will cherish every moment to come and thank God every day for this precious gift!

Your Miss Alabama,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment