Friday, April 1, 2011

Are YOU Water Smarter than a 5th Grader?

One of the most incredible things an individual can do is have an impact in a child’s life. During the month of March, I was given the opportunity to spend time with elementary students from around Jefferson County during the Birmingham Water Works education campaign “Are You Water Smarter than a 5th Grader?”

This program reached out to local elementary schools, implemented a science curriculum centered around water education, and culminated with a school program where I, Miss Alabama, tested my water smarts during our game show. I was so excited about the initiative taken by the Birmingham Water Works to educate our students at an early age. Fifth graders in Jefferson County were taught about the importance of water in our community and our world, taught where the water in our community comes from, and taught how to treat our water with respect and use it in an efficient way
Now, I studied the material hard…it was a lot of pressure… “Am I Water Smarter than a 5th Grader?!?” I made flashcards, read every chapter, and used the worksheets for every section. But these 5th Graders were tough! I was so impressed with how engaged these student were and with their enthusiasm. I visited 5 elementary schools: W.J Christian, Gardendale, Bluff Park, Vestavia Hill Central, and Glen Oaks in Fairfield!
The game show was hosted every week by a member of the Birmingham Water Works Board. I was the contestant and every week I faced off against a panel of 5th graders. We were also honored with the presence of a very special guest- WILLIE WATER DROP! Just like the TV show, the competition consisted of 10 questions from categories of my choosing and a bonus question! Now in the event that I did not (a) answer all ten questions correctly or (b) missed the bonus question, I was required to face the fifth grade audience and utter the pride-shattering phrase "I am NOT water smarter than a 5th grader." Regretfully, on more than one occasion, I had to say these words, BUT I still learned a great deal about how water affects our daily lives!
Spending time with these students, stressing the importance of Water Education, and talking to them about scholarship, success, style, and service has been one of the most rewarding opportunities during the past 10 months. I am so thankful to the Birmingham Water Works for including me in this program and so thankful to the schools for hosting me!










No comments:

Post a Comment